So every now and then, we come across something tasty AF, nutritious and crazy convenient to the point where we kind of just throw our hands in the air/like there’s a party over there/we just don’t care…
Enter our latest discovery, Sandhurst Fine Foods’ new range; Quinoa & Co. These guys have mastered the art of making healthy eating simple, quick and affordable. This ready to go/ready to eat range of quinoa is flooming delicious and legit good for you. (Sidenote, did you know only 50% of Aussies know what quinoa actually is….WOT?!).
Whether you’re a uni student in a constant state of hurry, a boardroom brainiac who doesn’t have time to duck out of the office, or just one of those people who’s too busy to think about what to eat (we really, truly, honestly will never understand you people), say hello to your knight in shining armour. Since quinoa is so nutrition-dense, filling and slow-energy releasing…it’s totally appropriate to think of Quinoa & Co as your new meal-time cheer squad.
We had a play with a couple of the different flavours of the new range and developed two simple, quick and easy recipes designed for those living life in the fast lane and who want to inject a dose of healthy eating into their diets.
Have a look at these babies, give the recipes a go and let us know what you think. At only $4.99 a pop (available now in the rice aisle at Woolworths Supermarkets across the country), it’s infinitely cheaper than any takeaway lunch you could buy and your body will thank you for the internal hug the nutritional value will give it. WE MUST WARN YOU THOUGH….these quinoa cookies will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. We know, quinoa cookies…are you for real?! But yes, yes we are. And don’t even try and make up your mind until you’ve tried one. You. Won’t. Be. Able. To. Stop.
Makes: approximately 12 substantial cookies
1 cup oil (melted coconut oil, olive oil or macadamia oil would be our picks)
3/4 cup of maple syrup or honey
1 tablespoon vanilla essence or paste
2 cups wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 3/4 cups oats
1 1/2 cups Quinoa & Co, plain white quinoa
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1/2 cups chopped almonds
3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius and line one large or two smaller baking trays with baking paper. Lightly spray them with cooking oil spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil of your choice with the honey/maple syrup ad mix with an electric mixer.
- Throw in the vanilla and eggs, mixing well until combined.
- Add the flour, salt and baking soda and stir until combined.
- Next add the oats, Quinoa & Co quinoa, chia seeds, almonds and choc chips.
- Gently mix with a wooden spoon or spatula, making sure ingredients are thoroughly mixed through. Note: don’t be too rough with the dough as it needs to stay a bit fluffy.
- Scoop 2 heaped tablespoons of dough into the palm of your hands and roll into little balls. Once you have done this with all the dough, gently press down on each cookie dough ball so it flattens ever so slightly – not too much!
- Bake for 10 minutes until golden brown.
Artichoke, Chicken and Quinoa salad
Makes: 1 generous serving
1 cup Quinoa & Co – artichoke flavour
Handful oven roasted cashews
1/2 a small carrot, grated
1/4 red onion, finely diced
1/4 red capsicum, finely diced
2 tablespoons canned green peas
2 tablespoons canned sweet corn kernels
Small handful shredded red cabbage
A few leaves of chopped parsley
1 chicken breast, grilled or poached and shredded
1. Mix ALL ingredients in a bowl! Top with Quinoa & Co Artichoke serving and drizzle with a little lemon juice, salt and pepper of you prefer your salads more zesty!
These two recipes are the perfect grab and go solution for both meals and snacks. Curb your 3pm sweet craving with the refined sugar-free cookie that will keep you full and satisfied because of the quinoa. Prep a bulk quantity of the salad ingredients at the start of the week so it’s just a matter of tipping them all into a bowl with your flavour of choice every day. Bye bye smelly rice and tuna…hello Quinoa & Co!
Happy healthy eating peeps!
– A xx